If your house is one where water regularly collects in the basement you’ll need a sump pump. Maybe more than one. Sump pumps remove water that infiltrates the basement either through seepage around the foundation or because of a high water table. The advantages of installing a sump pump are many while the negative effects of ignoring water problems in the basement can be serious and long lasting.
Plumbing in Toronto Often Means Sump Pumps
Sump pumps are more than just precautionary measures, they’re absolute necessities if water is an issue. If you’re unsure whether you need a sump pump try answering these questions:
- Is your basement moldy and damp?
- Is your area known for having poor drainage?
- Does your area receive a lot of rain and snowfall?
- Are there musty odors coming from the basement?
- Do you or your neighbors experience flooded basements during heavy rains?
If you answered ‘yes’ to one or more of these questions it is likely that you need a sump pump. Failure to install one could result in:
- Health hazards – Some types of mold are known to be extremely hazardous to human health. Allowing mold to propagate in the basement is asking for trouble. In addition to mold damp places are breeding grounds for bacteria that can present their own significant health risk.
- Property damage – Chronic water seepage and leakage can undermine the structural integrity of your foundation requiring costly repairs. In addition, if you have a finished basement, water leakage can permanently damage carpets, drywall, wiring, furniture and anything you have stored there as well.
- Loss of home value – Not addressing a water issue in the basement can lead to a marked devaluation of your home. Few people will purchase a house with a leaky basement due to the potential for unseen damage that could cost them dearly to fix.
- Foul odors – Not adding a needed sump pump to your plumbing in Toronto can lead to the generation of foul, musty odors that spread throughout the entire house and permeate carpets, drapes and furniture.
If you suspect your basement may have water issues don’t delay. Call the pros at New Canadian Drain and Plumbing Toronto. We’ll assess the situation in short order and advise you on whether or not you need to have a sump pump installed. If it turns out you need a sump pump, let us install one for you. You’ll be glad you did.