New Canadian Drain is a plumbing company in Toronto with contractors on staff specializing in plumbing services & more
Even with all of modern society’s conveniences, there are many homes not connected to public sewer systems whose waste water is stored in septic tanks, and which receive potable water — safe for human consumption — from onsite wells. Whether you live in an established community or have a cottage on remote property, not taking care of your septic tank could result in expensive emergency plumbing repairs.
What is a septic tank? A septic tank is normally a large rectangular or cylindrical container that is buried underground and constructed of durable material like cement, fiberglass, or polyurethane. Waste water from sinks, toilets, and drains throughout your home are collected in the septic tank. The water will eventually evaporate or run into the drain field, but solid waste material may not decompose. If the tank is not pumped every three to five years, solid waste may overflow, resulting in property and environmental damage and possibly resulting in the need for emergency plumbing services. Here are some maintenance tips that will keep your septic tank working as expected.
Avoid Emergency Plumbing Repairs by Caring for Your Sump Pump
- Never underestimate the importance of conserving water. The more you run a faucet, flush a toilet, or run a dishwasher or washing machine, the more water is sent to the septic tank — effectively shortening its useful lifespan.
- Maintain records of when the septic tank was installed, the last time it was serviced, and what preventative maintenance was performed.
- Periodically check the scum and sludge levels, and make sure baffles, tees, and other mechanical parts are working properly.
- A sure way to avoid emergency plumbing services is to check your septic tank drain field. Make sure the trenches are covered properly and have not been compromised by animals or fallen debris.
- Assuming you keep maintenance records, have your septic tank pumped out at regular intervals. Add the date to a calendar or to-do list, and keep it in your wallet, smart phone, or taped to your refrigerator — anywhere it will not be forgotten. If you have questions about how often the tank needs to be pumped, call New Canadian Drain & Plumbing for more information.
- Make sure that poisonous or harmful items, chemicals, or drugs are not flushed down the drain. Each of these — from coffee grounds to expired prescription medication to thick paper hand towels — could seriously affect how the septic tank operates or even pollute the environment. To avoid emergency plumbing services, it is a good idea to post a warning near sinks, toilets, or showers what can and cannot be flushed down the drain.
You also can avoid calling a plumber for emergency plumbing work if you keep the tank and drain field free of items like tree branches, ice, or snow in the winter. Maintain landscaping around the septic tank and at the drain field. Items like scrap wood, slabs of concrete, or other heavy items should never be stored near the tank or on top of the drain field.
Visit us on Google+
All Types of Plumbing Renovations
Plumbing Services by Toronto’s Top Plumbing Company:
Water Service Plumbing
Septic Tank Service
Call For a Free plumbing service Estimate:
Toronto West (416) 651-2990
Toronto East (416) 462-3212