Frozen Pipe Prevention and Repair Services in Toronto and the GTA
Frozen pipes are a huge hassle to deal with. There’s an especially high risk of frozen pipes as winter approaches.
When your pipes need replacement or repair, New Canadian Drain & Plumbing is the team to call. Our Licensed & Certified plumbers can replace your pipes quickly and effectively.
How can we deal with frozen pipe repair?
Frozen Pipe Prevention
The first thing you should do is try to prevent frozen pipes, to begin with. Even if you already have one that’s frozen, save your others from the same fate by practicing good prevention.
- Leave open the cabinet doors under sinks as well as bathroom doors. This allows warm air to circulate through your home better. Keeping your bathrooms from getting cold enough is the best prevention there is.
- Insulate pipes with foam insulators. Foam insulation can be bought at the local hardware store for cheap. These foam products can be fitted around exposed pipes to keep them warm. It’s like a blanket for your plumbing!
- Keep your house warm. Whether you’re on vacation or just trying to save money, keep your home temperature above 50°F. It might feel like a waste to keep your home warm while you’re away, but it’s an even bigger waste having to clean up burst pipes.
If you can tell some of your pipes have frozen because of problems with running water, it’s not too late. Frozen pipes can be thawed out. Properly thawing out frozen pipes prevents them from bursting. Here are some ways you can thaw out frozen pipes:
- Hot towels. Getting some towels wet with hot water and then wrapping them around frozen pipes will work wonders.
- Blow dryer. If you’d like a less hands-on method, plugging in a blow dryer and using hot air works great too.
- Space heater. If you’d rather not sit around watching your pipes thaw, turning on a space heater beside them works well. Just remember to turn on oscillate so that the hot air spreads evenly and doesn’t overheat one part of the pipe.
If your frozen pipes have burst, it’s time to call a plumber. No amount of thawing will help a burst. The pipe will need to be repaired or replaced entirely.
Start by turning off your water main to prevent flooding. The last thing you need is thousands of dollars in flood damage. Once your water is off, give us a call at New Canadian Drain & Plumbing. We have 24-hour emergency plumbing in Toronto available for any crisis your plumbing can throw at you. We’ll be quick to respond so that your emergency is dealt with as soon as possible.