Over the years, Toronto has had problems with flooding due to heavy rainfall, hurricanes, and melting snow and ice. Urban areas that are situated around lakes, rivers, and harbours are especially susceptible to flooded basements, leaks, and more.
Having a backwater valve installed is the easiest solution to avoiding issues in the future. Check out these guidelines if you’re wondering whether you need a backwater valve or a sump pump installation.
- Frequent sewer backups: If you experience sewer backups frequently, it’s a sign that your plumbing system is not working correctly. A backwater valve will prevent sewage from flowing back into your home during heavy rainfall or when there is a blockage in the sewer line.
- If sewage from an obstructed public sewer has ever backed up your drain line, it’s likely to happen again.
- Water pooling around your basement floor drain: If you notice water pooling around your basement floor drain, it could be a sign that your backwater valve is not working correctly. Water pooling can also be a sign of a clogged drain or a broken sewer line, so it’s essential to have a professional plumber inspect your plumbing system.
- Cracks in the foundation: If you notice cracks in your home’s foundation, it could be a sign that your plumbing system is experiencing high water pressure. A backwater valve can help reduce water pressure and prevent sewage backups.
- For starters, if your neighbors have backwater valves to protect their homes from excess water, then all of that extra water is likely going directly toward your house.
- Signs of moisture in your basement will, in time, creep into the walls and cause mildew and mold, creating an unhealthy situation that will worsen over time.
Due to global warming, the weather in Toronto continues to include more rain and snowstorms, which lends itself to flooding.
What Does a Backwater Valve Do?
Having a backwater valve will make your life easier and make your flooding worries go away. Once installed, the backwater valve will automatically shut and prevent leakage from a plumbing fixture giving you peace of mind.
At New Canadian Drain & Plumbing, we provide expert sewer line repair and replacement should you need it while having your backwater valve installed. For a free estimate, click here! Or give us a call today! Check out our stellar reviews, and you’ll know you came to the right place!